Sunday, August 30, 2015

How Long did you say?

I was a bit freaked out this week when I saw that I had a 4 hour run scheduled in my training programme this weekend - I don't remember running for that long previously other than whilst taking part in a half ironman or marathon event.

So it was with some trepidation that I headed out at 7am yesterday morning with my camelbak securely fastened to my back with enough fluids to last 4 hours.  Simone wasn't able to join me on this run as she had a crazy busy Saturday planned with family activities.

I decided to pick a fairly challenging course which is a different approach to previous years when I tended to find an enjoyable easy training course.  I think picking a more challenging course will only be of benefit on the day of the 50km.

The first 18 km flew by in 2 hours and then the coastal walkway slowed me down significantly.  I headed up hills, steps, ran along beaches and roads stopping at a dairy to buy some additional water as the fluids I thought might last me, didn't.  The third hour signalled 25.5 kms and as I headed in to the fourth hour I slowed even more.  My legs were tired - I was hungry but didn't feel like eating.  I really need to nail the nutrition in readiness for the big day as food and water play a major part in the training plan.

I finally arrived home at 11am - 4 hours after I had left - although actual running time was 3.45 as I had stopped off for traffic lights and buying water along the way etc.   I had completed 30.5 kms which I was happy with given the challenging terrain.  Goodness knows how long the 50km will take as I had slowed more and more with each passing hour!

I have to admit that I did very little else over the weekend - I sat in the movies with Soph, got a rotisserie chicken take out for dinner - then lazed on the couch all day Sunday with the exception of walking Bella for about an hour on Sunday afternoon to loosen up the muscles.



Until next time…..


No comments:

Post a Comment